Since social media is all about sharing, I figured that I would share some of my favorite social media quotes from many of the people who are on the front lines of social media marketing. These quotes are funny, insightful, poignant and they should all make you think and re-think what you are doing today and how you can make it better. Let’s face it, if you think you can’t do it better than you are today then you are sunk. There is always room for improvement, so take some time and think about how you can relate your current efforts to these quotes.
OK… so the Steve Jobs one isn’t about social media, but you have to love what you do and approach it with passion. You don’t have to be passionate about social media itself, but passionate about your product or opinions. Social media is just the medium. If you are truly passionate, it will shine through and be apparent to everyone you touch with social media. Hey… that might be my quote. I really like that one!
1. “How can you squander even one more day not taking advantage of the greatest shifts of our generation? How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?” – Seth Godin, Seth’s Blog
2. “The only way to put out a social-media fire is with social-media water.” – Ramon DeLeon, managing partner of six Domino’s stores in Chicago
3. “Businesses used to have a small suggestion box near the door that mostly housed dust bunnies and an occasional piece of gum. Rarely would someone get back to you. But people can now make a post from an iPhone or a BlackBerry while they’re sitting in your restaurant.” – Charles Nelson, President of Sprinkles Cupcakes
4. “What’s required is a kind of social media sherpa, who can find you the audience you seek, who can reach to them on the platforms where they are already congregating, and who can help promote in tasteful ways that fit the sensitivities of the networks where your audiences are found.” – Chris Brogan, author of “Trust Agents”
5. “We’re still in the process of picking ourselves up off the floor after witnessing firsthand the fact that a 16-year-old YouTuber can deliver us 3 times the traffic in a couple of days that some excellent traditional media coverage has over 5 months.” – Michael Fox, founder of Shoes of Prey
6. “Engaging in an authentic, meaningful conversation with consumers will be the key to marketing success and growth, even if that means acknowledging negative feedback; transparency is paramount.” – Ron Blake, president and CEO of Rewards Network
7. “The most successful marketer becomes part of the lives of their followers. They follow back. They wish happy birthday. They handle problems their customers have with products or service. They grow their businesses and brands by involving themselves in their own communities.” – Marsha Collier, speaker and business author
8. “You as a brand have to be completely confident about your position, because you will get criticism. You will have a negative reaction. If you didn’t get a negative reaction, that means you’re standing neutral and you have no point of view. Who wants to participate in that?” – Frank Cooper, Pepsico
9. “You can’t buy attention anymore. Having a huge budget doesn’t mean anything in social media…The old paradigm was pay to play. Now you get back what you authentically put in. You’ve got to be willing to play to play.” – Alex Bogusky, co-chairman CP&B
10. “If you think you are in control, you’re fooling yourself. As soon as you start listening, you realize you’re not in control. And letting go will yield more and better results.” – Charlene Li, author
11. “You can’t tiptoe into social media. You have to jump into the pool. People have a natural fear of it. But the scary part is not being there. Your customer is already there.” – Dave Saunders, madisonmain.com
12. “SEO is all about trying to figure out what keywords people are putting into search engines when they are looking for products like the ones we sell. If we look at social media, they are actually telling us what they want. A good marketer must be active in social to be efficient with SEO” — Jonathan Ressler, The Social Media Badass, The Big Fat Mouth
So if you add in my quote up top…which the more I think about it the more I like it…plus the 2 images in the post, then you actually have 15 Badass Social Media Quotes. I am sure there are a lot more of them out there and I am sure that you have some favorites that I have missed.
Share your favorite social media quotes with me below and let me know that you think. Also feel free to share this with your friends via Facebook, Twitter and others with the social sharing buttons below.
Thanks again and please add your comments below.